Saturday, October 27, 2012

A Great Easter Story

Something so amazing happened today that I had to share it with since legion people being I could in our refuge. It is Easter Sunday and the kids in my vicinity came to my pied-a-terre to get me to play basketball. Between games the kids and I took a break and they were utterance about gifts they got for Easter, an Easter egg hunt they had yesterday and the candy they popular in their Easter baskets. I told them that Easter is about Jesus rising following He was crucified to save us from our sins. I told them Easter doesn ' t have point to do with Easter bunnies, egg hunts, Easter baskets, gifts, or candy.

A younger boy asked why we have the Easter bunny and all those other things. I explained two reasons; first, stores like to profit off of every holiday so they push all kinds of things on people, second, Satan does existent he can to distract our attention from Jesus and the truth. " Why do we do it? " he asked. " I don ' t understand. " I said many times people don ' t know why they do things; they just follow what everyone else does. Just because everyone does it, however, doesn ' t mean it is right. " It ' s like we are cheering on the devil " he said. I was blown away when he said that. At his young age he understands the spiritual battle.

Then a boy that was a little older, who doesn ' t attend a church, said it is like there are two roads. Satan is on one road trying to get you to follow the Easter Bunny, smoke, drink, do drugs and gamble. God is on the other road trying to get you to do what is right. " Exactly! " I said. " God says in the Bible he wants us to take the right path. "

The younger boy then said, " It ' s like in the cartoons when the angel is on one shoulder telling you to do good and the devil is on the other shoulder telling you that doing bad is OK. " I told the kids how smart they are. At the same time I was in awe of how God opened their minds to the truth and turned them into preachers.

" If adults thought like you kids, the world would be a better place, " I told them. " We need to question everything according the truth in the Bible. " I explained to them how Satan loves to go after the minds of children and steer them in the wrong path because he wants to mess up their whole life and keep them from going to heaven. The kids were not happy about Satan trying to steer them down the wrong path. I told them Satan never quits tempting us, so just be aware of it and try to stay on the right path.

The kids told me this was a great conversation. I am amazed by how God is working through me to reach them with His gospel. Only God can make these things happen!

Since I began building relationships with the kids in my neighborhood I realized that they want to do what is right and want to know the truth. They seem to want to be led in the right direction. The problem occurs when we steer kids toward the world.

Remember Proverbs 22: 6 tells us, " Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. " The kids don ' t just listen to the words we tell them. They watch how we live and the example we set. We need to follow Jesus, our Perfect Example, not the example the world sets.